Thursday 26 January 2012

The blue cutout dress!


You may recognise this little number. It is the Topshop dress that I was all excited about buying a few posts ago. As soon as I slipped it on, I knew it was a purchase that had to be blogged. (FYI: Not everything of mine gets here. I have made many a mistake and the allure of many pieces even I struggle to identify, let alone share.)

Yet, I still hesitated and the reason for that (aside from the Great Bloat) is because this dress really does look a lot better in reality. Trust me, this one is stunning but everything about it, the vibrant colour, its substance, all just seems a little too muted on camera.



Obviously the first thing you notice is the colour. To say, that it is bright is an understatement. However, even as a recovering black-aholic, this bright, bright blue is a colour I feel at ease wearing. Maybe because the shape of the dress is quite conventional. It has a high neck, it covers the arms (woo!) and though short, the length remains decent (bear in mind, I'm short, not quite 5ft 2).


All these classic features add up and means that one more design twist (literally) in addition to the colour can be thrown in conspicuously and still, without the dress becoming too much. The cut outs seem to fall in a very flattering position on the side, giving the impression that the rest of the body is as toned as the little cut outs suggest. Got to love the power of design details!

Such features also mean that I do not need to think too much about accessorising with this one. I have tried necklaces but they look a little too much with the high neck and the centre twist. So the other night, I settled with a handful of gold bangles from Accessorise and some nude heels from Primark.


This dress was a pleasure to wear and indeed, some online reviews suggest that it could be slimming. However, I do think that I was lucky as the dress I picked up seemed almost a perfect fit (which doesn't happen very often) and I feel, that if it had being instead a little baggy or a little too tight then all the design details would have been pulled out of sync and the final look ruined. So while I do recommend this dress (fantastic price!), please try this one on before taking it home. There is no reason why this number will not flatter any size but I do think, it is one where you need to get the right fit!

If you do try it, then let me know what you think. I'm really curious as to whether the burgundy version works as well as the blue seems to.

And er, it has always got to come back to hair!

Image from Google Image Search here!

In other news, I love, love, love Victoria Beckham's new haircut! I'm not sure I could live with it as I always seem to struggle with layers and tousling to just the right degree but I think, this style is adorable and looks so, soo good on her and that fringe just tones down the beachiness enough to maintain that Beckham polish.


Image from here!

Hmmm, I wonder how much an appointment with her hairdresser is?! More then I can afford! You think!! For now, I guess, I'm just going to have settle with my Moroccan Oil which is every bit as amazing as I remember. Nothing wows me like it! Have a look under the Hair post header at the top of the screen for my earlier reviews.

What do you think of the Topshop dress? Do you dig Victoria's latest look? What do you think of Moroccan Oil? Have you entered my MAC giveaway yet? See the details here in the last post, don't forget the giveaway closes on Wednesday!


X

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that dress is gorgeous, you look great in it! The colour is really lovely too, very bright but I'm a lover of bright colours. I think it'll look great with those nude heels. Can't believe they're from Primark, I never really go in but now Ive seen those I want a pair. Did you buy them recently?

Amelia @ UGLY DUCKLING x

I WAS AN UGLY DUCKLING BLOG!

Essjay23x said...

@Amelia Thank you!! Yes, the heels were £16ish (bargain!) and I got them in store the weekend before last. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw them as I didn't know what I was going to pair with the dress and then I saw these and they reminded me a little of the LK Bennett ones Kate Middleton appears to wear and she wears a lot of blue so I thought they might work with my dress and yes, they seemed to though I could have done with another day (or two) to practise walking, they are mighty high!!:)

Essjay23x said...

@Adele Thank you! Ooohh, look forward to seeing the jeans on your blog soon:) I'm still on the hunt for my perfect pair of coloured jeans, the hunt just seems to continue and continue . . !

The CSI girls said...

Love this dress, looks amazing on. You're tempting me to rush out and buy it for tomorrow night

http://cosmeticsshoppingandintoxication.blogspot.com/ xx

Essjay23x said...

@C.S.I Beauty Blog Thank you! x Now go, go, go get it . . !;)

★ JASMINE ★ said...

you look stunning doll! great outfit, very flattering!

hugs, xo
*BARBIE-BOMBSHELL.BLOGSPOT.COM

Essjay23x said...

@Jasmine Thank you very much :)

Sandra said...

The dress look amazing, and I love the shoes too!

http://www.sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com/

Essjay23x said...

@Sandra Ooh,yep, the shoes are really growing on me esp. now I've started to master walking in them. Pretty sure they'll be scuffed soon so determined to enjoy them while I can. Thanks for your comment, Hun. Hope you come back soon :)

Unknown said...

Lovely dress. I love how amazing Victoria Beckham is in these pictures, such a beautiful family x

http://outsidebeautyinsidehealth.blogspot.com/

Essjay23x said...

@Cat0805 I know, she looks amazing and so young. I cant believe she is a mother of four! :)

The Fashion Philosophy said...

So pretty! Looove that dress.

PS. We've a DORIS giveaway on our blog! Check it out!

ox from NYC!
-Davie+Erica

LPFashionPhilosophy

Essjay23x said...

@Davie+Erica LPFashionPhilosophy
Thank you for reading. :) Will be checking your blog out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...